May 6, 2020
OPPOSE AB 2736 (E. GARCIA)
As amended May 5, 2020
The above-listed organizations must OPPOSE AB 2736 as amended May 5, 2020, which paired with AB 2255 (Eggman) seeks to greenlight NextEra’s Eagle Crest project. AB 2736 will not protect the environment and will do nothing to protect California ratepayers.
- AB 2736 simply restates language within the Eagle Crest Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) license in efforts to greenwash the related AB 2255 Eagle Crest procurement mandate bill (a bill which has already been rejected multiple times by the legislature: AB 2787 (2018) and most recently SB 772 (2019).
- AB 2736 does not add protections for Joshua Tree, nor does it address environmental concerns or protect ratepayers from an unnecessary project and costs.
- AB 2736 responds to the pandemic and associated economic fallout by forcing the State to spend its limited resources in a costly process of observing FERC, reviewing Eagle Crest’s plans to damage Joshua Tree and raid the wallets of ratepayers, and filing a legally futile “petition” if Eagle Crest doesn’t comply with FERC.
- This bill redefines California’s clean energy approach from ‘we can protect our national parks, scarce groundwater and ratepayers in our clean energy future’ to ‘let’s establish a maximum fine of $1M in exchange for a $3B ratepayer-funded, out-of-state corporate bailout that also harms Joshua Tree.’
- California already suffers from an affordability crisis – given current economic hardships facing Californians, we cannot saddle Californians with additional costs for a special interest project.
WE REMAIN UNITED IN OPPOSITION TO LEGISLATION THAT BYPASSES ESTABLISHED STATE POLICIES TO BENEFIT SELECTED BULK STORAGE PROJECTS.
Agricultural Energy Consumers Association
Independent Energy Producers Association
Large-Scale Solar Association
Basin and Range Watch
Mojave Desert Land Trust
California League of Food Producers
Morongo Basin Conservation Association
California Hydropower Reform Coalition
National Parks Conservation Association
California League of Conservation Voters
Native American Land Conservancy
California Native Plant Society
Northern California Power Agency
California Sportfishing Protection Alliance
Planning and Conservation League
California Wilderness Coalition
Sierra Club California
Center for Biological Diversity
Solar Energy Industries Association
Coalition to Protect America’s National Parks
Southern California Public Power Authority
Defenders of Wildlife
The Nature Conservancy
Environmental Working Group
Vet Voice Foundation
Western Watersheds Project
Original post – Coalition Opposes Amendment that Props Up Eagle Crest