April 3, 2019
The Coalition has come a long way since its inception in 2003. What was the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees has become the Coalition to Protect America’s National Parks. Our organization now welcomes current national park service employees, in addition to retired and former members of the NPS workforce. And our membership now stands at 1,700 and possesses over 35,000 collective years of stewardship of America’s most precious natural and cultural resources.
As our membership has grown, so has our voice. Our rising numbers have given the Coalition more knowledge, experience, and support. We now have the capacity to tackle more issues, communicate more effectively, and join our partners in more efforts to protect our parks. But we must keep growing and we must make sure that our voice continues to be heard.
Our goal for 2019 is to hit the 2000-member mark. This is an admittedly ambitious goal, as we’ll need to add about 300 members over the next few months. And to do this, we need your help. We are asking you to help us recruit new members; tap into your networks and reach out to current and former NPS employees to let them know about the Coalition.
Do you follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram? Share our posts and encourage others to follow us as well. Did you just receive a retirement announcement from a friend wrapping up his or her time in the park service? Send them an email and let them know there are ways to stay connected.
A few perks of membership to keep in mind:
- There is no fee to become a member of the Coalition
- Becoming a member gives you access to The Weekly National Park System Report, a newsletter produced by Bill Halainen on news and incidents occurring within the National Park System.
- Our members receive updated information on our national parks, important NPS issues and policies, and opportunities to take action
- Membership in the Coalition provides an excellent opportunity for social and professional networking with other members
- It’s a great way to help protect and preserve our nation’s most treasured resources
For over fifteen years, the Coalition has been devoted to protecting our national parks and public lands. We are the voice of experience and we know, better than most, what it takes to ensure that our natural and cultural resources are preserved for the enjoyment of future generations.
Here’s a link to our membership page: https://protectnps.org/join-us/. And if you know of anyone who would be interested in joining the Coalition, please pass it on. Help us continue to grow and let’s see if we can reach our 2,000-member goal this year!