It shall be the policy of the Coalition to present awards at appropriate times to draw attention to individuals who have made significant contributions to the goals of the Coalition. Current goals from our strategic plan are:
- Protect and defend the National Park System and the mission of the National Park Service.
- Instill public understanding and appreciation of the origins, purpose, and ideals of the National Park System and the National Park Service.
- Initiate or engage in activities that will contribute to, or educate others about, the significant role of the National Park System in a healthy planet and a vigorous American society
- Develop alliances and engage in collaboration in support of the National Park System and National Park Service.
- Sustain the Coalition as an organization capable of achieving its vision, mission and strategic goals.
Protecting and assisting units of the National Park System and the National Park Service is enhanced when the Coalition partners with like‐minded individuals and organizations in pursuit of its stated goals. While all such partnerships offer significant advantages and synergism there are from time‐to‐ time individuals and/or organizations that clearly have demonstrated exceptional efforts toward those goals. Formal appreciation recognizing such efforts is a policy of the Coalition.
The Coalition will present recipients with a citation and plaque that summarizes their contributions. Other forms of recognition may also be used where more appropriate or in addition to the citation and plaque. The Coalition will provide information on the award and those recognized to the media and our partners that work for the preservation and protection of the parks of the National Park System and the effective management of the programs of the National Park Service.
Nominations from the general membership and Executive Council members will, as a minimum, include pertinent personal information, career history to particularly include work related to the National Park System and/or National Park Service and a narrative supporting why the individual or individuals merit the award. Additional support information may include media reports, other citations or awards from like‐minded organizations, testimonials from other individuals or organizations, and outcomes from their efforts that have benefited national parks.
The George Hartzog Award
The George Hartzog Award is given to the individual or individuals who demonstrate outstanding support for the mission of the National Park System and/or the National Park Service. Nominations are solicited from the general membership of the Coalition or the National Park Service with the recipient(s) selected by the Executive Council. This award is presented annually or at other times deemed appropriate by the Council.
- Recipients can be Active NPS employees, NPS retirees or members of the general public who have demonstrated support for the mission of the Park System or provided invaluable service or leadership to parks or the National Park Service.
- Recipients are also eligible if they instill public understanding and appreciation for the National Park Service or engage in activities to communicate the unique value of Parks to the general public and Society.
The 1872 Award
The 1872 Award is focused on the later two strategic plan goals noted above and is given to the individual or individuals making an outstanding contribution to the Coalition. The nominations for this award come from members of the Executive Council. The recipient(s) will be selected by consensus amongst Executive Council members. This award is presented annually or at other times deemed appropriate by the Council.
From time to time, the Coalition may, in recognition of some special service to the organization, give an honorary membership to an individual not otherwise qualified as a former salaried employee of the National Park Service. The award will be given at the discretion of the Executive Council. Examples of special service might include pro bono legal advice, financial services, a long history of support to field units and programs in a non‐NPS capacity, etc. Recipient(s) are notified of their selection by the elected Chair of the Council.
Certificates Or Letters Of Appreciation
Certificates or letters of appreciation may be awarded at any time by the Chair to recognize service to the Coalition.