The Coalition hosts its first-ever webinar to talk about oil and gas leasing and its impacts on our national parks and public lands. This episode is part of the larger ” Take Action” series, where we explore timely topics related to the preservation and protection of the parks, places, and programs of the NPS. The webinar was hosted by Amy Fehir and featured Matt Kirby, the Director of Energy and Landscape Conservation in the Southwest for the National Parks Conservation Association, Mike Murray, and Emily Thompson.
- Take Action: Oil and Gas Leasing Webinar
- Take Action: Oil and Gas Leasing Presentation – PDF slide deck.
Coalition to Protect America’s National Parks
Oil and Gas Lease Sales Toolkit
Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is moving forward with public lands lease sales for oil and gas extraction, often on the doorstep of our national parks.
Oil and gas companies are getting cut-rate deals to drill America’s public lands while national parks and local communities suffer the consequences. And with public land lease sales continuing through the COVID-19 pandemic, the suggestion that groups and individual members of the public will still be able to participate in this public process is absurd – the focus of Americans is understandably on the health and safety of our families and friends. The Interior Department must immediately suspend all open public comment periods, halt oil and gas lease sales, and delay any rule and policy decisions until this public health crisis is past, said [NAME, TITLE].
- Leasing public land for oil and gas drilling near our national parks is never an acceptable option
- These oil and gas lease sales place public health and wildlife at risk, ruin scenic views and night skies, compromise air and water quality, and generally threaten the outdoor recreation experience
- Lease sales involve public comment periods which have been valuable in drawing attention to the potential risks to local communities and national parks
- The idea that groups and individual members of the public will still be able to participate in this public process is absurd – the focus of Americans is understandably on the health and safety of our families and friends
- Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, when events, businesses, and public gatherings have been closed or cancelled, the administration is pushing forward with not only oil and gas lease sales and public comment periods, but rulemakings and policy decisions as well
- Oil and gas lease sales, open public comment periods, and rule and policy decisions should be halted until a time when this public health crisis has ended
@Interior and @SecBernhardt should not take advantage of a pandemic to push through their pro-energy agenda. The focus must be on #publichealth and not the decimation of our #PublicLands
“These actions should be given full & deliberate consideration, not rushed through…when we should be focused on the health & safety of the American people” – @protectNPS’ Phil Francis in @HuffPost urging @SecBernhardt to halt #PublicLands oil & gas sales https://bit.ly/2U9ZkLQ
Amidst a global pandemic that has slashed oil prices, @SecBernhardt continues to plow forward with a reckless agenda that prioritizes oil & gas development above all else and sells out our #PublicLands and health for pennies on the dollar.
There are still stay-at-home orders in place throughout the country, making it impossible to participate in public comment periods. Lease sales must be halted until community voices can be heard #protectourparks
In the midst of an economic crisis, @SecBernhardt’s shameless decision to lease #PublicLands in the West to o&g companies resulted in predictably low returns for taxpayers. #protectourparks
@SecBernhardt is moving full steam with o&g leasing on #PublicLands while families are focused on protecting their health and safety and many lack the ability to protest the impacts on their lands, air, and water.
Instead of putting families & workers first during a global crisis, the Trump admin. is expediting bailout requests from o&g executives. Instead of incentivizing more drilling, @realDonaldTrump & @SecBernhardt must halt all o&g activities on #PublicLands!